Most travellers these days have more than enough experience packing for all sorts of holidays: long, short, beach, trekking or any other kind. Nevertheless, it doesn’t hurt to learn more holiday packing tips & tricks to save us more time, money and even some trouble.
Our holiday packing tips to Lake Toba can also be applied to other kinds of holidays that extend beyond a couple of days. Here are some of our top holiday packing tips:
Bring Right Bag
If you’re planning to get a new bag or luggage, make sure that you get one with a good warranty. There are more than enough good brands out there that offer a good warranty so don’t get a new luggage without it.
The key factors of a right luggage are always about its versatility, lightness and space.
Let’s check out the various types of bags and luggage for your upcoming Medan Tour:
- Carry-On – If a carry-on is enough, why bother bringing a checked-in luggage? You’ll not only save time and money, you will even save the trouble in the event your airline messes up the luggage handling.
- Rolling Luggage – Depending on your destination and choice of activity, a rolling luggage can make your holiday that much more relaxing. Just make sure there are proper pavements and walkways in your destination.
image instagram @buylcw
- Duffel Bag – A duffel bag might be the answer for a short holiday (3-4 days) without a fixed mode of transportation. It’s light, easy to pack and stylish to carry around.
- Wheeled Backpack – For most versatility, nothing beats a wheeled backpack. You can roll it or carry it, depending on the situation.
- Travel Backpack – If you’re travelling with minimum items and striving for maximum mobility, this is the ultimate bag for your travel. An all-time favourite among backpackers, trekkers and long-stay, multiple-destination travellers
Pack Clothes Properly
No one likes wearing a creased clothing, wherever we are. These are the 2 main holiday packing tips to avoid getting your clothes creased after packing them:
- Roll your clothes: Put the clothing (pants, skirts, shirts, t-shirts) face down and roll them from the bottom up. Other than avoiding creases, folded clothes save more space in your luggage than folded ones.
- Fold two or more together: Somehow, if you must fold your clothes, fold two or more together instead of individually. Take two of the same type, say pants, put half of the first item on top of another. Then fold the bottom one over the top and fold the other one on top.
Overpacking is one of the cardinal sins of travelling. Our primitive brain is always warning us to be safe than to be sorry, so we tend to bring more than we need. But in reality, it’s always better to pack right and travel light.
Leaving some space in our travel bags will have more benefits for us. One, we will be forced to bring what we really need, not what we think we might need. Two, we will never know how much we will buy or bring back from our trip. Three, if your bag is up for inspection, you might have problem closing your luggage back or keeping your packed things intact.
When it comes to travelling, less is always more. Give your bag and your mind some breathing space for a more joyful holiday.
If you’re going for our Medan Lake Toba Tour, you don’t have to overpack as there are places throughout the journey to replenish your supplies.
Compartmentalize & Keep Clean
As you’re going to visit Lake Toba and Berastagi hills, you might just get your attire wet or even dirty. Bring along some shower caps or extra bags for your shoes, sandals, soiled or wet cloths. This way, your other clothes and items in the bag will not be affected.
The best kind of bags are Zipper bags. You can even use them to categorize and contain your items clearly; from soiled items to toiletries, medications and even electronic gadgets.
Bring Multipurpose & Matching Clothing
Bring clothes with basic colours that can be used for more than one occasion. So instead of packing occasion-specific clothes, bring those that you can wear for various purposes. With basic-coloured clothes like black, brown, white and blue, you can mix and match interchangeably. The key in choosing the right outfit to bring is to think of versatility in terms of function and colour.
Carry Important Items on You
Wherever you are, whatever you do and whenever you go, this has got to be the number one tip of all.
Never put your most important things out of sight at any time. Keep your vital stuff on you at all times (personal bag, handbag or pockets), not even on the carry-on. These are things that you cannot afford to lose during your trip: passport, identification cards, tickets, mobile phone, cash or any other valuables (essentials).
With the intense competition that hotels are facing against each other, many are resorting to lowering room rate to draw travellers to their properties. With the ever-increasing supply of hotels in practically every destination, it’s a sin to spend more than you should for your accommodation. Here are the good & cheap Medan hotels below…Read More
North Sumatra is filled with all kinds of natural wonders! From the magnificent volcanoes to beautiful lakes, you’ll definitely be in awe at the natural wonders you can find here. Besides the popular Lake Toba, Samosir Island, Sibayak & Sinabung Volcanoes, you should really consider these unsual & hidden North Sumatra places to visit: 1.…Read More
Medan is both a shopper’s paradise as well as a food heaven. With a wide range of cuisines available, you’ll definitely have a blast food-hopping in Medan! Here are some of the Best Medan Restaurants, Cafe & Food: 1. Mie Aceh Titi Bobrok Get a taste of Medan’s local flavours at this down-to-earth eatery! Mie…Read More
There are just so much to do in Medan beyond Lake Toba, Samosir Island and Sipiso Waterfall, and going to these three areas will take you more than a day to fully enjoy the booming city. Let us lead you through Medan with this piece, and we know that you are going to factor in…Read More
Medan, the capital of North Sumatra, Indonesia, is the main gateway for tourists to visit places and attractions such as Bukit Lawang, Lake Toba, Berastagi, and Parapat. Many visitors are actually overlooking Medan city itself as a place of interest. This is such a shame! There are actually quite a number of must-see, top attractions…Read More